Friday, April 18, 2008

Starting out

Fine, not starting out. I've actually been at the whole eating healthy, exercising, trying to be a better example of a human being for a year plus now. But I guess you could call it starting again, seeing as I've been at a plateau weight wise and health wise for several months now. And I've always kind of wanted to do a health blog, so here we are. I doubt anyone will ever read this except for a rare few very bored people.

The title comes from the fact that I tend to be a stressed out person in general and when I was informed by my doctor that it would be a very good idea for idea for me to lose weight and just be healthier in general, the first thing I started doing was exercising. I noticed right off the bat that on the days I'd exercise, the stress would be a lot easier to deal with.

I've been on weight watchers for about a year now, and if I could get myself to consistently track food, I'd be golden, but I am nothing if not stubborn. But weight watchers, especially if you go to a good meeting and have a good leader, is an amazing thing. I started off with both and I lost thirty pounds. But I'm also a firm believer that any healthy weight loss program can help a person lose weight and be a healthier program in general.

I've also found that focusing on things like shooting for running nine and a half miles on an elliptical or working on trying to get to the next heavier dumbbell at the gym would be the times when I would be losing weight consistently and the weeks where I'd be a head case about making sure I would lose at least a pound that week would be the week where I'd lose a quarter of a pound or gain.

So this blog will help keep me accountable on two things. One, it will just keep me accountable. If there get to be too many entries in a row where I start off saying "I just ate a whole bag of extra buttery microwave popcorn and I feel like crap," I'll know, without a doubt, that it will be time to fix it. Two, if I get to be obsessive about the numbers game of weight loss, I'll be able to know when to pull out before I get too freaked about it all.

No comments: