Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Zombies, Zumba, and...Z'Obama!

So, unsurprisingly, I had another zombie related dream a few nights ago. This time, the zombies were apparently sentient and were trying to convince people to come outside and join them, because being a zombie was pretty cool. I'm not sure what arguments they used, but I remember people mostly being like "Hah. Whatever, zombies. You aren't going to fool us."

My dreams apparently aren't known for the witty dialogue.

Anyway, the lesson I'm going to take from this possible view of the future is that I should find more ways to be able to exercise without leaving the house. Which makes sense, because so far this winter is of the sort where it's been snowing hard a couple of times a week, which can make the half hour drive to the Y less than desirable, and you might as well wear ice skates when you go outside for all the ice on the sidewalks. What works for recruiting zombies works for the winter.

So, anyway, the Y had it's first Zumba class Monday. Monday was also a heavy snow day, so there weren't many people there. Normally I'd skip out, too, but my car was parked in back, so I had to clean it off and move it so my parents could get to work, and I really was looking forward to the Zumba class, so I went anyway, and only lost control of my car a little bit. The class wasn't nearly as intense as the class I went to with my friend was, or really, even close to the intensity of a normal work out class, but it was the first time the teacher had taught it (she being one of the normal morning class teachers), and the first time any of us (which consisted of people who normally take the morning classes) had really taken a zumba class, so we had to be taught it, which is good, because using my hips turned out to be unexpectedly complicated. It was fun, though, and I'm looking forward to next week's class.

But, what is more important than zombies and zumba? I know! Sacrilege! But yesterday was pretty damn amazing. I'm just happy. That was an amazing speech and I'm so privileged to be a part of this generation. And I keep trying to remember that there is never anything false about hope, and it is all right to hope that this guy, the President of the United States of America, can help move the country in a good direction without my mind cutting in and telling me that nothing will happen because nobody will let anything happen. As the man said himself:

"Now, there are some who question the scale of our ambitions - who suggest that our system cannot tolerate too many big plans. Their memories are short. For they have forgotten what this country has already done; what free men and women can achieve when imagination is joined to common purpose, and necessity to courage."

Things can happen.

I'm so glad that that one group's religion isn't being injected into the government any longer. Hopefully. Denying the rights of other citizens of the United States of America when they haven't done anything wrong isn't my religion. Purposely not investigating possible cures for horrible and deadly dieseases isn't my religion.

And look at the new website. I know that the whole transparency thing is probably mostly a crock of bodily product, but at least it will be a little better. Not so much of a "Because we said so" thing. And it's really weird for me, because I grew up in a Republican family, and anyone who was liberal was an idiot for believing the liberal media, and I really went through an identity crisis when I realized that I had fallen hook, line, and sinker for Obama, that I truly believed that he could lead this country in a better direction, and that I couldn't vote for McCain, once the only person in politics that I admired. I started to not watch the news in case it was the liberal media finally winning me over, and just get my news from online sources. But yeah, right now, for possibly the first and only time, I'm truly and unabashedly happy about who we chose for president.

The one thing missing from his speech is his plans on how to deal with the upcoming zombie epidemic.

No comments: